This week is Mental Health Awareness Week here Australia and I feel very privileged today to share with you such an honest and candid interview about anxiety, depression and business – all rolled into one incredibly inspiring and hopeful chat with a long time friend of mine Karyn Sealby.
Karyn is a maker, creative designer and incredible photo stylist. She has been running her business KBS Designs for just over 8 years, this business has morphed from handmade kids clothes and jewellery to beautifully crafter home decor products. Karyn has a keen eye for colour and does a great job at mixing practicality with luxury.
Karyn recently launched KBS Styling where she provides one on one coaching, done for you styling and loads of free advice to help product based businesses, particular makers improve their product shots and show the true value and potential of their amazing wares.
In this episode Karyn and I talk honestly and openly about some of the darker side of running a business. There is sadly a fair amount of hate and competition in many business groups, fear can becoming overwhelming and if you are on the receiving end of nasty comments, giving up can feel like the best option.
Karyn shares about the darkest times in her journey and when she almost threw in the towel completely. She also shares what turned things around for her and why despite being in the game for eight years, the last 12 months has been a powerful journey of self belief, confidence and bigger dreams!
How do you stay positive and come back to the light?
- Karyn talks openly about the role medication plays in her ongoing mental health.
- Surround yourself with people who are supportive and who believe in your and your value, even when you don’t.
- Going to Artful Business Conference 2016 in May was a big step forward in confidence and self investment. It meant so much to have a room full of people, many of whom where already friends!
- Focusing on gratitude and remembering what you have already accomplished!
Taking stock and focusing on what I am grateful for, what I have achieved and looking back at how far I’ve already come helped me turn things around. Changing my thought patterns and working on my mindset made the biggest difference.
- Listening to inspiring podcasts and drawing from that the confirmation that you are on the right path.
- Plan your time and schedule in your life
- Planning out your goals and actions, means you aren’t always wondering what to do next.
- Own it – put it out there that you are struggling. Don’t be afraid to share your fears with others. Find a supportive group and let them know you need support.
- Give yourself permission to get a day job! Having money coming in from a stable source can take a lot of pressure off your business.
- Set goals that matter to YOU and your family! Define your own version of success and think about the things other than sales and profits.
My figures aren’t nearly as good as they were last year, but I am happier, healthier and setting myself up for bigger growth in the future – without risking falling back into stress and overwhelm.
If you are struggling with depression or anxiety PLEASE reach out to someone around you. Find a friend or a family member to talk to or call Beyond Blue or Lifeline. There are people waiting and ready to help you – all you have to do is ask.
Links for today’s episode
Karyn’s Facebook Group – Maker’s Unite